[KS] Critiques of Sin Chaeho

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Sat May 11 06:42:58 EDT 2013

Dear Andrew,

I would recommend you Paek Namun's oeuvre, <Chōsen shakai keizaishi> (朝
鮮社会経済史, 東京 : 改造社, 1933). Sin and his epigones are criticised
there from solid Marxist positions, although Paek goes against certain
points in what was then Marxist orthodoxy in Japan (he does not
recognize "Asiatic mode of production" in ancient Korea, for example).
Generally, criticism of Sin and other "romantic nationalists" (the likes
of ChOng Inbo, KwOn TOkkyu etc.) was a common theme in the writings by
the Korean Marxists in the late 30s (Pak Ch'iu and Lim Hwa, in addition
to Marxist historians). Sin's uncompromising political line was,
however, much adored - for understandable reasons.

Best,
Vladimir

--
Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages,

http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:

http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html