[KS] Beginning of dog-meat consumption

Julien Dugnoille julien.dugnoille at anthro.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 15 11:17:40 EDT 2013

Dear all,

I am currently doing ethnographic research on the emergence of animal welfare in South Korea and am still unsure about the following question for which I have received contradictory answers: when did dog-meat consumption start in Korea?

Should it be traced back to antiquity or to 20th century food shortages? I would deeply appreciate it if anyone knew of reliable sources I could consult regarding the matter.

Many thanks in advance for any answer.

Julien Dugnoille
D.Phil. Candidate
School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography (SAME)
University of Oxford