[KS] Graduate training in Korean history at UPenn

Eugene Y. Park epa at sas.upenn.edu
Sun Nov 3 01:15:34 EDT 2013

Dear all,

It's the graduate school application season of the year--at least in the
U.S.

For anyone who is thinking about or knows someone thinking about
graduate training in Korean history at the University of Pennsylvania, I
would like to note that (s)he must apply for our Department of History
(http://www.history.upenn.edu/) rather than the Department of East Asian
Languages and Civilizations (which does not have a standing faculty
member in Korean studies). In line with most graduate programs in the
U.S., Penn History funds Ph.D. students but not M.A. students. Also,
applicants should keep in mind that the M.A. program is terminal, and
the department generally does not admit its M.A. graduate into the Ph.D.
program.

We do what we can to take good care of our Ph.D. students, and our track
record is good. History offers every admitted doctoral student a full
five-year funding package, including summer stipends. Since I have
joined Penn faculty in 2009, I have not seen a single doctoral student
in East Asian history failing to secure external funding for
dissertation field research or land a tenure-track job in the U.S.
Currently I am supervising four Ph.D. students and an M.A. student.

For more information on Korean studies at Penn, please visit our James
Joo-Jin Kim Program in Korean Studies website
(http://www.sas.upenn.edu/koreanstudies/). And of course I would be
happy be answer questions.

Yours,

Gene Park

---

Eugene Y. Park
Korea Foundation Associate Professor of History
Director, James Joo-Jin Kim Program in Korean Studies
University of Pennsylvania
http://www.history.upenn.edu/faculty/park.shtml