[KS] North Korean Cinema - A History (book)

johannes schonherr schonherr_jo at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 17 07:42:47 EST 2013

Dear list members,

Please allow me to introduce here my 2012 book "North Korean Cinema - A History". Some of you may already be aware of the book but nonetheless, I would like to announce it here for the first time on the forum.

McFarland, the publisher, chose the following lines to advertise the book

"Like many ideological dictatorships of the twentieth century, North
Korea has always considered cinema an indispensible propaganda tool. No
other medium penetrated the whole of the population so thoroughly, and
no other medium remained so strictly and exclusively under state
control. Through movies, the two successive leaders Kim Il Sung and Kim
Jong Il propagandized their policies and sought to rally the masses
behind them, with great success. This volume chronicles the history of
North Korean cinema from its beginnings to today, examining the
obstacles the film industry faced as well as the many social problems
the films themselves reveal. It provides detailed analyses of major and
minor films and explores important developments in the industry within
the context of the concurrent social and political atmosphere. Through
the lens of cinema emerges a fresh perspective on the history of North
Korean politics, culture, and ideology." Quote from  http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-6526-2

For a brief peek into the first pages of the book please see the amazon site:  http://www.amazon.com/North-Korean-Cinema-A-History/dp/0786465263/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370901625&sr=8-1&keywords=north+korean+cinema#reader_0786465263

With best regards,

Johannes Schonherr