[KS] Korean term for wabi-sabi and its origin

Junghee Lee dilj at pdx.edu
Sun Nov 17 20:20:52 EST 2013

Dear members,

One of students asks me the questions about "wabi-sabi."

In the Korean aesthetic realm, is there a concept similar to that of the
Japanese aesthetic paradigm "wabi-sabi"? If so, what is the Korean term for
this concept?

He said he noticed when he visited Korea, the intentional qualities of
"imperfection, impermanence, and incompleteness," or "beauty at the edge of
nothingness."

He asks "From what era/age does it originate?"  "Is the origin Chinese, or
does it have indigenous Korean roots?"

Please let me know the answers to these.

Thank you.

Best wishes,.

Junghee Lee
--