[KS] Korean in North Korea

hoffmann at koreanstudies.com hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sun Nov 24 17:39:40 EST 2013

> tendency in the DPRK to use even more Sino-Korean

> terms than generally in the ROK.

That is an interesting observation. But is that still the case in the generation of those 60 and under? (Sure is true for the 70+ generation, no doubt, if compared to the same generation in South Korea who changed usage over time.)

It is not excatly like Hong Tae-yong or Pak Chi-wŏn were engaging in 'brush-talk' when crossing the northern border, unless we talk about exchanging information about pros and cons of makeup brushes and fashion labels. In Germany we used to count beer coasters when we could not understand each other's language.

////"When you are subverting the power of government, that's

/////a fundamentally dangerous thing to democracy."/

Edward Snowden; 2013

> A few factors factors jump immediately to mind: 1) The

> influence of historical regional dialect [saturi 사투리 ]
> differences which existed well before the division of the
> peninsula; 2) moderncultural differences--i.e., the
> DPRK's 60 years of  Communist institutionsand
> terminology across the whole spectrum of daily life and
> the ROK's long termdeliberate sheltering and filtering out > such information from the north and vice versa; and 3) a
> tendency in the DPRK to use even more Sino-Korean

> terms than generally in the ROK.

> Dr. Edward D. Rockstein [1]

> ed4linda at yahoo.com
>
>////"All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and

////>/ re-inscribed exactly asoften as was necessary."/

> George Orwell; Nineteen Eighty-Four; 1949.v

Links:
------
[1] http://koreanpoems.blogspot.com/