[KS] "InfoShare" / "Korea InfoPool": any suggestions?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sat Oct 12 03:32:17 EDT 2013

Dear Stephen, Dear All:

Thanks for the feedback.

(1) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I got your point, but to be sure, my loose idea or suggestion was not
aimed at any sort of changes to/with the existing KS List--not about
policies nor about the simple technical setup. People tend to read
incoming emails, they do not tend to go to FORUMS unless they "need
something fixed." You can have a forum if you have a a hundred thousand
people interested in that wider topic, but it will likely be a lame,
devastated place if you have only 2,000 (especially with a new switch
on/switch off generation).

(2) Facebook -- wow! I am shocked. With a Facebook account and your
computer on, you AUTOMATICALLY have your telephone data and just
absolutely everything, even if you do not send it over the Internet,
ending up for endless years of storage at various national governments'
data centers (where every doodle can search our data--did I
misunderstand anything?), and Facebook itself sells my selected data to
hundred thousands of companies world-wide, since they are just such
considerate people, so when the time comes, they can send customized
casket offers, in the right size and right colors (and they exactly
know what the budget is too), and they then know exactly whom to
contact for their kind offers. All is perfectly automated, without any
human interference. I love it! Yes, let's all use Facebook! (PS: What
is true for Facebook also applies to a Google "account"--logged in or
not makes no difference, you only have to been logged in once on your
computer. But of course, the truth changes by the minute…)

(3) Disregarding the Facebook or Google Groups "alternative" (which I
would obviously not use), the MAIN issue, the main obstacle is this
(repeating what I already said earlier):
Some sort of forum, I *think*, might not work, because only the person
with a question might go there … the critical mass (of participants)
would be too small. That's what I believe. So, i wonder if anyone can
think of an alternative technical solution, apart from separate email
lists (with, maybe sub-categories). Sub-categories via different email
lists is really not what I had in mind either.

Any further ideas (while avoiding the facebook sellout)?

Best,
Frank

PS: Since Facebook might not determine my taste, I post it here.
Designed by a Korean American … yeah, kind of artist …, but a very
practical guy, as you see. Lots of action is always good.  (Photo: © F.
Hoffmann)