[KS] The Unmarried Foreigners

Robert N robertneff103 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 22:58:59 EDT 2013

>From what I understand of Korean society during the Joseon period - a male
who was unmarried (never having married) was not considered to be a man and
could be basically treated as an inferior - even by married teens.
 Considering this attitude, I have always wondered what the Koreans thought
of the unmarried foreign diplomats - especially the elderly ones.  Does
anyone have any information on how the average Korean (not just the
government officials but the foreigners' servants) might have regarded them?

Thanks
Robert Neff