[KS] The Unmarried Foreigners

Adam Bohnet abohnet at uwo.ca
Wed Oct 16 21:53:11 EDT 2013

I don't do any work on the 19th century, which I assume is the period
which Robert Neff is investigating.

But I wonder if the question needs to be reworked. Sorry to answer a
question with more questions, but some obvious follow-up questions include:

1. Western diplomats are outside of the  ordinary status system anyway.
By the late nineteenth century, they were also backed up by gunboats,
and so existed, in a sense, above the ordinary status system. How would
ordinary Koreans even encounter the married or unmarried lives of
European diplomats?  Are there particular circumstances that you are
thinking of? For that matter, any particular diplomat?

2. And, sorry to nitpick,  "ordinary Koreans" also sounds a bit vague to
me. I am guessing that, beyond Korean politicians and diplomats, the
only people who would have a close enough encounter with a diplomat that
they could actually determine marital status would be various types of
domestic workers + shopkeepers.  The former, especially, were presumably
not likely to be the sort to successfully claim yangban status, and
speak disapprovingly about unmarried status of their masters - for that
matter, they may not have had terribly regular marital lives themselves,
since during the eighteenth-century, at least, the base-born frequently
did not live terribly Confucian lives. Otherwise, there might also have
been Korean Christians at the churches that the diplomats attended, but
they, of course, were very much not ordinary in their religious beliefs

How one would set about discovering the thoughts of domestic workers is
another question again, of course. It would be lovely to know more.

3. The most famous community of unmarried Westerners in Korea were, of
course, Roman Catholic priests. I am too lazy to look this up, but I
vaguely remember the unmarried status of priests being one of many
reasons that Catholic priests were criticized. Of course, there were
other reasons to criticize a priest, especially before opening, but that
might be a point of departure. Especially before opening Catholic
priests were living within the villages, and, far from keeping a
diplomatic silence on the subject of their marital status, were loudly
proclaiming the vital importance of chastity for priests  (something
they shared, in any case, with Buddhist monks). So it is not surprising
that this might be noticed.

4.  Back to the question of how would anybody even know. Before the
opening, Japanese, Chinese and other envoys would not, I think,
generally bring their wives along on a diplomatic mission (I suppose
Tumen valley Jurchen wives might have tagged along, legally or
illegally, during the early Choson - I should look this up) nor did
Koreans bring their wives on trips to Beijing. The fact that an old
European diplomat was wandering about Seoul without a long-suffering
diplomatic wife to help arrange the party at the consulate strikes me as
something which would cause more of a fracas within the Western
diplomatic community than within Korean society. In fact, I have been
told quite recently of the enormous value of a good diplomatic spouse -
in this case, for a Canadian diplomat.

Those are my thoughts on the subject, at least.  It sounds like an
interesting topic, but I wonder if the question should be reworked.

Yours,

Adam