[KS] Japan-Korea, France-Algeria: Colonialism and language policy

don kirk kirkdon at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 27 09:45:15 EDT 2013

Many thanks for responding in chapter and verse. Ok, that "primitive culture" quote was just for emphasis, not direct quotation. One point not to be overlooked -- Korea was an independent (though paying homage to Beijing) kingdom for centuries. Taiwan was an island outpost, overrun by mainlanders many years before the Japanese took it over in 1895, never an independent nation. Not appreciating the heavy hand of Beijing rule, the citizenry did not share the sense of national identity of Koreans. To some, Japanese rule came almost as a relief, especially since the Japanese adopted almost a munificent policy toward their new holding -- unlike their policies on Korea, hardened by restiveness and revolt (1919).
Don Kirk