[KS] North Korean Tablet Samjiyon

Ruediger Frank ruediger.frank at univie.ac.at
Wed Oct 30 10:04:25 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues,
as Koreanists you might be interested in my rather extensive (16pp) review of the North Korean tablet computer Samjiyon SA-70. What fascinates me is not so much the hardware and all the technical magic like speech-to-text, but rather the contents and the utility as a tool for research on Korea. To give you an idea, on my tablet (they might all differ a bit) there are a total of 488 preinstalled books and reference works including a nearly complete set of schoolbooks, the inevitable collected works of the leaders etc. All in Korean of course, which implies that the tablet was made for the domestic market.
Read the review here: http://38north.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/SamjiyonProductReview_RFrank102213-2.pdf
My best wishes,
Rudiger

--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Rudiger Frank
Head of Department

Acting President, Asian Politics and History Association
Vice President, Association for Korean Studies in Europe

University of Vienna
Department of East Asian Studies
Spitalgasse 2 Hof 2.3
1090 Vienna