[KS] Roman Catholic Troubles in the North

Franklin Rausch frausch at lander.edu
Thu Sep 5 15:32:45 EDT 2013

Dear Korean Studies List Members,

I appreciate Frank's kind comments about my work.  In response to questions about the fate of Father Wilhelm, it's my understanding that he agreed to depart from Hwanghae Province for a time as a result of the Haeso Incident, but was back by late 1903.  While he was gone, a large number of Hwanghae Province Catholics either left the faith or ceased to actively practice it.  While the Korean government might not have been particularly fond of Wilhelm, he did help the Japanese colonial state by convincing "Righteous Army" soldiers to lay down their arms.  It's probably for that reason that the Kwantung Government General was willing to allow Wilhelm to meet An Chunggun while the latter was awaiting execution for the killing of Ito Hirobumi.  I examine this issue somehwat in my article "The Bishop's Dilemma," which is published in the April 2013 issue of The Journal of Korean Religions.  Jo Hyeonbeom of the (Catholic) Korean Church History Institute has done some excellent work on Wilhelm, as seen in this article:
Cho Hyŏnbŏm.  “An Chunggŭn ŭisa wa Pillem sinbu: kijon saryo ŭi chaekŏmt’o rŭl chungsim-
ŭro [An Chunggŭn and Father Wilhelm: a reexamination of the basic sources].”  In An Chunggŭn yŏn’gu ŭi sŏnggwa wa kwaje [Issues in the Study of An Chunggŭn], edited by An Chunggŭn Ŭisa Kinyŏm Saŏphoe, 350-378.  Seoul: Ch’aeryun, 2010.

I don't have his article in front of me, but I believe that Cho looks more at Father Wilhelm's life after his departure from Korea after the annexation (which I believe was mostly the result of him alienating his fellow Catholic missionaries).

Yours truly,
Franklin Rausch

--
Dr. Franklin D. Rausch