[KS] Roman Catholic Troubles in the North

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Thu Sep 5 21:32:47 EDT 2013

Some questions, for clarification:

> (…) that he agreed to depart from Hwanghae Province for a time as a
> result of the Haeso Incident, but was back by late 1903.  While he
> was gone, a large number of Hwanghae Province Catholics either left
> the faith or ceased to actively practice it.

Seemingly contradicting that statement, at least at first sight, are
these numbers below, released by the Société des Missions Étrangères
de Paris:
QUOTE: "Indeed, 600 Christians in 1896 have turned into more than 7,000
in 1902, and instead of one parish in one province in 1896, there are
eight of them in 1902, all headed by either a Missions Étrangères de
Paris missionary or a Korean father."
He thus became the 'miracle Wilhelm'.

> Cho Hyŏnbŏm.  “An Chunggŭn ŭisa wa Pillem sinbu: kijon saryo ŭi
(…)
> Cho looks more at Father Wilhelm's life after his departure from Korea
> after the annexation  (…)

CONTENT:
  Chapter 9:
    안중근 의사와 빌렘 신부 / 조현범
      1. 문제제기
      2. 빌렘 신부, 여순 감옥을 찾아가다
      3. 빌렘 신부는 왜 갔을까
      4. 향후의 연구를 위한 제언
 ( http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/toc/fy1301/2011416059.html)

You are sure this is the text you had in mind?--doesn't really sound
like it from the sub-headers.

Well, I wonder if anyone researched Father Wilhelm's activities after
1914, other than summarizing what contemporary Korean magazines and
newspapers published--which is almost nothing. Talked to one of his
relatives yesterday, and according to her they have never ever been
contacted by letter or otherwise by anyone from Korea. Either I talked
to the wrong person or "research" is limited to "repackaging" here?
On the other hand, it certainly made and makes some sense to stop
following his activities after 1914, that is also understandable. He
didn't anymore moved masses, stopped civil uprisings, or did beat up
national heroes. But there are some very pointed actions he was
involved in, and sometimes those can make a big difference also.

Best,
Frank