[KS] Was he Korean? Ludwig Kim (Université de Strasbourg)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Thu Sep 19 05:49:37 EDT 2013

A brief update as regards to my earlier question (see subject line):

I have now been able to look at the vita of Ludwig Kim. Wherever that
family name Kim comes from--never seen it in Europe for anyone not
being Korean--Ludwig Kim was not a Korean. He was born in Hessenheim
(sine 1919 French) in the Alsace area. His father "J. Kim" (no full
name given) is said to have been a school teacher; his mother had a
typical German name. It can be excluded that in the late 19th century
an ethnic Korean would have become a school teacher at the German
school (referring to the father) … was on the wrong track there.

Best,
Frank