[KS] two formal questions - Japanese/Korean

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Wed Apr 16 16:20:14 EDT 2014

An additional note:
-------------------

After looking a little closer my first assessment that spacing rules
for Japanese personal names change seems correct (wich does not mean
that I/we could not ignore that in academic texts).

It seems, as so often, that the new playing ground is the Internet, and
that the rules that are newly being made or adjusted for Internet use
will pretty quickly replace those for the print media.

You probably know the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) -- its
self-description is:
"The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is an international community that
develops open standards to ensure the long-term growth of the Web."
When you see changes in what script language your web browsers use, how
they deal with 2-byte characters, or what style rules AND scripting
they use, then it always is the W3C that enacts the standards.

Now, have a brief look at their rules for publications in JPAPANESE,
latest version from 2012:

http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/
No matter if 3, 4, or 5-character personal names, all the author and
editor names listed *on top* of the document have spaces:
The same applies to the JAPANESE original of this document:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-jlreq-20120403/ja/

If you look at "Fig. 3.53" (on *top* of below URL) you will realize
that spacing is given as an equal alternative.
http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#fig2_3_5-en

Best regards,
Frank