[KS] Transactions of the Royal Asiatic Society - Korea Branch

Bill Streifer photografr7 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 19:32:32 EDT 2014

Members,

My copy of Volume 88 (2013) of "Transactions" by the Royal Asiatic Society - Korea Branch has just arrived from Seoul. It was beautifully prepared and professionally bound.

I encourage you all to pick up a copy and read "1945: Korea Faces a Post-Colonial Future" by yours truly, Bill Streifer. It is essentially a reprint of an April 1945 article by Dr. Fritz J. Hansgirg, an Austrian-born German national, a brilliant chemist and metallurgist, who spent over five years in Japan (including 2.5 years in Konan, Korea) before WWII began.

Hansgirg's article discusses the problems that Korea would face when Japan is finally defeated and Koreans must survive on their own. My article in Transactions also includes a two-page introduction including information -- with the benefit of nearly 70 years (1945-2014) -- that Dr. Hansgirg could not have possibly known at the time.

-- Bill Streifer