[KS] North Korean temple photos

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Wed Aug 13 05:27:03 EDT 2014

Like Frank Hoffmann, I am most grateful to Cho Insoo for having made us aware of the new book from the National Museum of Korea.

What immediately strikes is the fact that quite a fewof the photos in the book are identical with those found in Volume 12 of the 朝鮮古蹟圖 報 Joseon gojeok dobo (published in 1932) so that I would assume that the immense collection of 38,000 plates held by the Museum was the source for that remarkable series of 15 volumes which is available online at http://portal.nricp.go.kr/japancolony/web/photobook.jsp
I have already extracted the pages in the Joseon gojeok dobo devoted to the North Korean temples that I deal with in my site, Seok-wang-sa is at http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/Diamond/Joseongojeokdobo/Seogwangsa.pdf and it is clear that the first (aerial) viewthere is the same as that which is on page 111 of the Museum's book.

I have looked at Andreas Eckardt's book but while it contains some very nice photos of Seogwang-sa it has none of the 3 which I originally asked about and which I am grateful to Frank for helping locate at least time-wise. I too think that they have nothing to do with the Diamond Mountains and might well be close to Seoul, like several of Eckardt's temples.

I wonder if anyone can induce the National Museum to make freely available online scans of the complete set of plates in their possession?

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea