[KS] Early French publications of Korean texts

Walraven, B.C.A. B.C.A.Walraven at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Dec 3 08:50:00 EST 2014

A gentleman, Li Jin Mieung...

-----Original Message-----
From: Koreanstudies [mailto:koreanstudies-bounces at koreanstudies.com] On Behalf Of Frank Hoffmann
Sent: woensdag 3 december 2014 13:36
To: koreanstudies at koreanstudies.com
Subject: Re: [KS] Early French publications of Korean texts

Post Scriptum:

First, my apologies about my many typos in the last message ....

Second, it seems the only one having done some research on Henri Chevalier and Hong Chong-u is -- and that comes to no surprise -- again Professor Li Jin Mieung in Lyon:
http://www.iett.eu/Pages/Membres/Pages_membres/JMLi.html
You may want to check out her article in UNESCO's _Revue de Corée_ ("Traduction d'oeuvres littéraires coréennes en français, de 1892 à
1994") and her articles at http://www.euro-coree.net/ (see May/June
2006 of their online magazine).

The earlier mentioned 2010 (not 2011 as I stated) German dissertation by Doo Won Cho has the following summary, but I think this is also based on Li Jin Mieung's research and will likely be found like this in various Korean publications as well ... saw that elsewhere but do not have the references at hand now:

------
Henri Chevalier (1855-1924) was an engineer, ethnologist, and a diplomat. When working at the École des langues orientales, he met the Korean Hong Chong-u. Hong then taught him Chinese. Later on, Chevalier became interested in the traditional culture of Korea and translated with Hong Chong-u's help several Korean works and published partial translations, (...).
(Doo Won Cho, p. 79)
------

Best,
Frank