[KS] New issue of the Seoul Journal of Korean Studies

Sem sem_ver at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 13 02:33:01 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues,
I'm happy to report that a new issue of the Seoul Journal of Korean Studies has rolled off the press. And although we are no longer included in any of the hallowed Thomson-Reuters indices, I am convinced that the articles are more interesting and original than ever. Piece by piece they present important new research that considerable sharpens our understanding of well-known phenomena (the sowon, Choson envoys' records of trips to China) or contains virtually unknown facts (lay monk villages, the parentage of late Koryo kings, Korea's mineral richness). The contents of vol. 26, no. 2 (2013) is as follows:
The Elusive Path to Sagehood: Origins of the Confucian Academy System in
Korea

Milan Hejtmanek

“The Mystery of the Century:” Lay Buddhist Monk Villages (Chaegasŭngch’on) near Korea’s
Northernmost Border, 1600s-1960s

Kim Hwansoo

Chengde and the Barbarians: Reading Ethnicity and Difference in Pak Chiwŏn’s Yŏrha ilgi

Min
Eun Kyung

Deconstructing the Official History
of Koryŏ in Late Chosŏn: The
Discovery of the Un'gok sisa and the
Refutation of the Theory that Sin Ton Sired Kings U and Ch’ang

Jeong Hohun

More Valuable than Gold: Korean Tungsten and the
Japanese War Economy, 1910 to 1945

Chad Denton
The articles will soon be available to download on Project Muse. A limited number of hard copies is available; please write to seoul.journal at gmail.com if you would like a copy. For submission information and anything else related to the journal, please use the same mail address.

Sem Vermeersch

Associate Director,

International Center for Korean Studies

Seoul National University