[KS] Variable Romanization of 년(年) in McCune-Reischauer

Dennis Lee dennisleeucla at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 10:48:00 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues:

Thank you very much for the very enlightening comments.

I always supposed that 천구백구십육년  and 1996년 would be romanized the same since
they are pronounced the same in Korean. However, the fact that they are not
was always bizarre to me.

But as many of you have pointed out, there is quite a lot of variation in
the actual implementation of these romanziation. And as the presses like to
say, as long as you are consistent.

Best,
Dennis Lee