[KS] Fitness and/or Readiness of the North Korean Military

Keith Leitich asian_education at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 1 01:58:13 EST 2014

As a novice observer of the North Korean military I wanted to ask the opinion of my more learned colleagues regarding the
article by Choe Sang-Hun and David Sanger in the December 23rd issue of the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/24/world/asia/north-korea-purge.html?_r=0

In which the authors say ... " North Korean military forces were deployed to retake control of one of the sources of those
exports ... In the battle for control of the fishing grounds, the emaciated, poorly trained North Korean forces “were beaten
— very badly — by Uncle Jang’s loyalists,” according to one official".

My question(s) are: a) What units are these? b) Does this portend a larger problem for the regime as its Seon'gun policy
seems to have failed?

I look forward to your responses.

Regards,

Keith Leitich