[KS] Texts on doing social science research/ethnography in Korea

Antti Leppänen antti.leppanen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 10:28:49 EST 2014

Dear list,

I have undertaken a task of compiling a reader of texts that would
work as a guide for conducting social science research as fieldwork in
Korea, alongside specifically edited volumes on Japan ("Doing
Fieldwork in Japan", U of Hawaii Press 2003,
http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/p-2970-9780824825256.aspx) and China
("Doing Fieldwork in China", NIAS 2011,
http://www.niaspress.dk/books/doing-fieldwork-china).

I don't consider myself that poorly informed on texts on Korean
ethnography (I'm not so sure about social science in general), but
there really seem to be very few pieces of writing that have been
written mainly for the purpose of providing guidance for or personal
reflections of ethnography in Korea.

Many articles and book introduction (and other) chapters provide, of
course, valuable information on how the research has been conducted,
and in the end I may have to do largely with those, but I'd be happy
to get suggestions if anyone is aware of particularly good and useful
pieces of writing in this topic. As an anthropologist I'm most
familiar with texts on ethnography, so hints for texts in other fields
would be most welcome.

Best regards,
Antti Leppänen

Antti Leppänen, Ph.D
Center for East Asian Studies
20014 University of Turku, Finland
tel. +358-41-528 6256 (mobile), +358-2-333 6924 (office)