[KS] Mayor of Seoul in 1922

Cathy Moran Hajo cathy.hajo at nyu.edu
Wed Jul 2 09:48:07 EDT 2014

Good morning!

I work at the Margaret Sanger Papers in the History Department at New York
University and was directed to your list as a place that might help us on a
question we are struggling with.

In 1922 Margaret Sanger traveled to Korea where she spoke to a luncheon
meeting and noted that the Mayor of Seoul also attended. We have been
trying to identify him and have found references to it being Gil Song, a
Korean version of Motaro Yoshimatsu. (from Edward I-te Chan, "Japanese
Colonialism in Korea and Formosa,"*Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies*,
1970). We haven't been able to find any other information, other than that
there is a Motaro Yoshimatsu (1859-?) who in 1915-17 was Admiral of the
Imperial Japanese Fleet. (from Iwata Nishizawa's *Japan in the Taisho Era*,
[1917]). We are trying to verify that it is the same person, but we don't
read Korean or Japanese and haven't been able to locate any additional
information about any of the names.

Do you know of any sources that could help us better identify the Mayor of
Seoul in April 1922?

Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to make.

Cathy Moran Hajo, Ph.D.
Associate Editor/Assistant Director
The Margaret Sanger Papers Project
Department of History, New York University
53 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012
(212) 998-8666
(212) 995-4017 (fax)