[KS] Fwd: High-quality pan-CJK typeface from Google+Adobe

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Thu Jul 17 11:31:48 EDT 2014

Again many thanks to Charles Muller for the contact and forwarding of
the issue to Ken Lunde at Adobe. I now tried the mentioned "OTC"
version at the Sourceforge website (not the Google site).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/source-han-sans.adobe/files/
--> SourceHanSansOTC-1.000.zip
That works as described by Ken Lunde in the earlier quoted email (and
the brief Readme text), however, it does NOT fix the problem!

The RESUME for me, thus far:  These fonts do NOT work on a Mac with the
latest OS and MS Word.
Koreanists working on Windows or Linux systems may want to keep that in
mind when exchanging files with others using Macs, or with publishers
that use Adobe InDesgin or other design software (which many publishers
run on Macs). There may be all kind of problems coming in then.

If these new Noto Sans CJK (rsp. Gotik CJK, if downloaded at
Sourceforge) fonts are not installed on a receiving computer, they will
automatically be replaced by e.g. Batang/바탕, if you have that
installed -- and that is fine and should work as a kind of basic
solution. But for any sort publishing related tasks I'd be extremely
careful, unless you know exactly what your publisher is going to use.

Best,
Frank