[KS] Fwd: High-quality pan-CJK typeface from Google+Adobe

Charles Muller acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Jul 17 08:46:27 EDT 2014

Frank Hoffman wrote:

> (b) Far  m o r e   i m p o r t a n t :
>      I cannot get the Noto Sans CJK fonts to work in MS Word on a Mac. I
> am at the latest version of Mac OSX and have the latest update of MS
> Word for Mac 2011. Does this require 'Microsoft Office 365' (which
> seems to widely opens your computer to various state "authorities" to
> look over your shoulder in warm care)? The fonts work in all programs I
> tried, including MS Excel and other non MS programs, but in MS Word I
> get an extra trailing space after Hanja characters -- even if I apply
> that Noto font to words/names I had already typed and formatted in
> another font such as Batang. As an example, it is impossible to write "
> 漢子" -- I only can write "漢 子". Any information related to this? (I
> could not find anything.) These would otherwise be absolutely wonderful
> fonts.

I was able to contact Ken Lunde at Adobe, and he answered as follows:

-------------------------

Ken Lunde from Adobe has already answered me with this:

---------------------------------
Chuck,

I am the architect of the glyph sets and everything that went into
assembling these fonts, for both the Adobe- (Source Han Sans) and
Google-branded (Noto Sans CJK) versions. It was a boatload of work. I am
effectively the maintainer of the project.

With that said, we're aware of issues with MS apps. If that person is
using OS X 10.8 or greater, I suggest trying the OTCs, which put up four
fonts in the font menu, one for each supported language.

In any case, please feel free to forward the issue, or have the person
post it as an issue in the GitHub repository. See:

  https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans/issues

Ken

A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan