[KS] Alan C. Heyman

Dylan Davis dylandavis1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 08:59:03 EST 2014

Thanks, Hilary, for letting us know of Alan Heyman's passing.  I had no
idea.  I did an oral history interview with Mr. Heyman back in 2010 while
at U.S. Embassy Seoul.  It was part of a website we put together to
commemorate the 60th anniversary of the start of the Korean War.  You can
listen to that interview and several others (including one with Richard
Underwood) by clicking on the "oral histories and video files" tab in the
link below.  My favorite line from the clip, which we highlighted on the
website:

http://einfo.usembassy.or.kr/koreanwar/index.html

----The Lieutenant [at classification] said to me, "Get your gear ready.
Tomorrow you're going to Uijeongbu."  And I said, "Excuse me sir, in what
part of Japan is Uijeongbu?"  He looked at me very strangely ... and said,
"My friend, I am very sorry to inform you, but Uijeongbu is not in Japan ...
it's in Korea.  You're going to Korea."----

Best regards,

Dylan Davis
UC Berkeley