[KS] Old photos of Korea

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Mar 7 21:11:41 EST 2014

Thomas Duvernay has posted the following message on Facebook and I believe it deserves to be noted here, first of all because the set of photos is well worth a visit and includes a few which are very often reproduced, but also because of the potential for abuse that he highlights.

There is a set of photos going around FB right now with the title "35 fascinating photos of Korea from 100 years ago (before K-dramas took over Asia)". The main problem with the photos (besides some wrong captions) is that they were almost certainly taken from my friend's (Okinawa Soba) flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/24443965@N08/sets/72157604582452397/with/2419972390/ without citation. He has collected old photos and postcards for decades, so the scans that he shares are from originals. One of the problems, he told me in the past, is that some people take them and try to pass them off as their own (including selling prints on eBay).

We should always give credit where credit is due . . .

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea