[KS] Korean geology: What did we know and when did we know it?

Bill Streifer photografr7 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 20:11:36 EDT 2014

Northern Korea is rich in monazite, about 5.5% of which is thorium oxide and less than 1% uranium oxide. From what I understand, the majority of monazite is located in the mountainous regions of North Korea, although the monazite itself is most often mined in stream and river "placers" that flow from those mountains. Since much of my information was obtained from pre-war Japanese geologists, I'm wondering how much of this geological information was available to the British and to the Americans during WWII.

-- Bill Streifer