[KS] Koreanstudies Digest, Vol 129, Issue 23

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sat Mar 22 20:24:11 EDT 2014

Yes Bill, that is understood. My last posting was just a *loosely
related* add-on note, and it was not meant to be any more than that.

For further clarification: the Germans did not ship uranium oxide to
Japan (they were rather interested in getting that FROM Korea, but the
blockade made that impossible at the very time they would have needed
it for their arms industry). Instead they handed on the blueprints for
methods for using uranium oxide in e.g. the process of strengthening
steel and producing rocket fuel. It should be said that over the years
they handed on a whole bulk of war related technological master plans,
but Japanese technicians and the technical setup in Japan were at that
time not yet as advanced; the Japanese did also not yet have the
machinery to follow up with the production of highly sophisticated
machinery. They did try, as we know in very much detail as regards to
mentioned fighter motors, but run into a seemingly endless series of
problems with details. In the end, except for the older Daimler motors
(DB 601, for example, from 1939) they could not make full use of
advanced technical plans they received, especially not under war-time
conditions of production, with all kind of material shortcomings.

Frank