[KS] The first modern Western visitor to Seoul

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Nov 14 03:29:24 EST 2014

Reading the account by John Carey Hall of his visit to Seoul in October 1882, I realized that I do not know who was the first westerner to enter Seoul at the time of the opening and write an account of it. Hall's written report to Sir Harry Parkes was only published in May 1883 but I wonder if anyone is known to have walked freely around Seoul before him? HIs account is certainly fun to read http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/1882Hall.pdf

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea etc