[KS] Changes in Chosŏn period costumes

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Fri Oct 10 15:58:41 EDT 2014

Dear Gene:

Yes -- apologies for my "most people" expression, that sure was not an
proper way to express what I wanted to say. Honestly, I had no
specific group in mind, and I guess I should have saying this.

Thanks for the library search link -- would have never thought of that
::)

Let me rephrase my question then:
I am looking for a study (and that may well just be an article ... no
200 pages of flashy illustrations needed) that has tried to track down
the CHANGES in costumes over time during the Chosŏn period (and
possibly even, but that would be a second step, connected those to
social historical, economic, and life-style changes). I am aware that
there are some studies that, for example, look at the influence of
kisaeng-style fashion to the wider general fashion world, and there are
lots of lots of lots of studies on kings' and queens' and kings' and
princes' and emperors' belts and what not, but as far as I can see
there is no more systematic study on fashion changes in general ... and
maybe that is asked too much, or maybe the wrong question to ask from
my end. It is just that it would come really handy to see if anyone
tried to list those changes (using art work and ceremonial records).

I was not at all trying to indicate that there would be no advancement
in studies in this area -- am not too familiar with that. So, if that
is how it came over then I am sorry. I am sure we now know just
everything about kings and queens and how they are depicted in
paintings.

Gene, your example:
>> 30 years ago when when they portrayed early Joseon
>> and late Joseon outfits (e.g. dopo, gat) pretty much
>> the same.

THAT is an interesting one. Can you tell me how exactly this has
changed as regards to the 'kat'?

One last note from my end:
Tracking down the changes, the alterations, seems especially meaningful
-- at least is there a potential for that -- exactly because the
exceptionally strong drive for conformity during these long centuries
under the same political system.

Thank you.
Frank