[KS] Photos of Russian military instructors in Imperial Korea

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Fri Oct 24 22:07:22 EDT 2014

A very brief reply to Gene's impressions here -- just because I fear
those 'stick' with some.
Please do correct me if I am wrong ... unfortunately I have no Prussian
uncles whose names were Fritz and no military ambitions either :::)

Okay, so, to make it simple:

(a) Until 1905 Japanese uniforms were an almost exact match of Prussian
uniforms (and almost half of the higher Japanese officers, and later
also those serving in colonial Korea, had been trained in Germany --
had partially even fought in the Prussian Army) ... but anyway, we have
a full match there, of uniforms, and also of the entire military
structure, the ranks, etc. (with some exceptions -- but MOS exceptions
only come in after 1905).

(b) The Korean uniforms were an almost exact match of Prussian uniforms
-- until Japan took power in Korea as a result of the Russo-Japanese
War of 1904-05.

IMAGES (at Wikipedia):
Japanese uniforms, 1900:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/JapaneseArmy1900.JPG

Korean soldiers, 1898:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/Koreansoldiers1898.jpg/1280px-Koreansoldiers1898.jpg

As you see by looking at the KOREAN soldiers, there are no Prussian
_Pickelhauben_ to be seen -- as in the photos I posted here last.
This is NOT because the Korean Army suddenly had some doubts about that
fashion and wanted to look more Austo-Hungarian or Italian, also
replacing the boring dark blue with flashy yellow and green colors ....
I fear, it's just a different section (or what's the term here ...
never been with the military) of the army. The same also applies to the
more and more loved Korean kings and princes and what not ... when you
see them in different uniforms it does not indicate they changed their
allies or anything, it just means the Prussians had various uniforms
and so had those who adapted them. One for the beach, one for the
throne, and so on.

ABOVE, when you have a look at the "Japanese uniforms, 1900" image,
look at the LOWER LEFT ... looks exactly like many of the images you
see of common Korean soldiers around 1900 also, including the colors.
-- In short, please correct me with details if I am wrong, I think
nothing changed until 1905.

Greetings,
Frank