[KS] Photos of Russian military instructors in Imperial Korea

Eugene Y. Park epa at sas.upenn.edu
Fri Oct 24 17:34:27 EDT 2014

Dear Brother Anthony, Frank [Hoffmann], Frank [Shulman], and Norman,

Thank you so much for all your insights and assistance.

On a related note: it's fascinating how Korea's modern army evolved,
from the Byeolgigun (created in 1881) to a larger, better disciplined
army abolished by the Japanese in1907. The three attached photos suggest
that the overall capacity improved, at least as as we can tell from the
postures and expressions of the soldiers. The army around 1900 looks far
sharper than the Byeolgigun of the 1880s (just look at the bayonets
pointing in different directions and the obviously low morale of the
soldiers). Also, it's interesting how the the cadets around 1896 (from
Isabella Bird Bishop's book) are wearing obviously German-style uniforms
(as did Gojong at the time, looking quite similar to Frank Hoffmann's
great uncle!) whereas by the 1900s they look more like Japanese troops.

Looking at the change from some 40 Byelgigun soldiers in 1881 to roughly
8,000 troops by 1907, we can't say Korea didn't try. It's just that
8,000 wasn't enough against 200,000 Japanese, their approximate troop
strength during the Russo-Japanese War!

Best,
Gene

Eugene Y. Park
Korea Foundation Associate Professor of History
Director, James Joo-Jin Kim Program in Korean Studies
University of Pennsylvania
http://www.history.upenn.edu/people/faculty/eugene-y-park