[KS] Percival Lowell

Hyung Pai hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Mon Apr 6 13:51:17 EDT 2015

Dear Koreanists,

I am working on a paper on Percival Lowell and his travel photographs, In his widely read travelogue ( Land of the Morning Calm during the Winter of 1882-83, he brags that he was amongst 9 Westerners residing in Seoul at the time
He mentions Lucius Foote, and Von Moellendorf ( not including his Japanese wife and two kids),
Is this true? Who would the 7 others be? Can we confirm who they are. This time period early 1880s in Korean history is a new area for me .
Hyung Il Pai
Professor, East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies
HSSB Building, University of California, Santa Barbara
CA 93106
Fax: 805-893-7671
Email: hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Dept Home-page profile: http://www.eastasian.ucsb.edu/home/faculty/hyung-il-pai/