[KS] Percival Lowell

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Tue Apr 7 00:35:23 EDT 2015

Dear Robert, as stated in the last posting, this was just a summary of
one of the paragraphs in a German language article by Alexander Kneider
(reference was given). I did not check any of the names and did not say
I did, nor did I comment on anything. No claim was made that these
people were in Korea at the *exact* time Lowell was there -- Professor
Pai expressed her interest in the first half of the 1880s, and in the
summary (as in Kneider's article) the years of their stay (or at least
arrival) are clearly listed.

As for misspelled names: can you point out which names are misspelled?
-- I mean, except my own in your message and the wrong title ::)
In the late 19th century, and well into the 20th century, Germans used
a wide variety of spellings for their names. You can find people who
sometimes refer to themselves as "Joseph" and at times as "Josef," or
"Kniffler" could easily become "Cniffler" in some official documents,
and on and on. That even continues into nationalities (wich were hardly
understood as related to identities back then, other than at times of
war). For instance, I just wrote a text on a prominent expressionist
painter named Emil Nolde, who even national governments did not know
was German or Danish (he was Danish, by his documents, during the
second half of his life). Even Möllendorff himself -- Kirk called him
"Moellendorf" with "oe" instead of ö (o-Umlaut) and just one "f". But
it does not matter whatsoever! There are also plenty of German language
publications using all sorts of variations -- and it is VERY well
possible that Möllendorff himself used variations of his own family
name. All that only stopped some time in the 1930s or later. (All that,
of course, also applies to other nationalities, such as the use of
Hanja variations Koreans used for their names.)

Best,
Frank