[KS] Percival Lowell

Robert N robertneff103 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 01:54:32 EDT 2015

Dear Frank

I fully agree that the spelling of names can be confusing.  I believe I
have even seen Mollendorph as a spelling in one of the earlier text but
can't remember where.

One name that comes to mind is Bekofsky (which Allen did spell right).  He
is sometimes referred to as N.S. Bekofsky, others refer to him as Bekoffsky
and I have even seen him identified as T. Belogorsky, he was, however (by
his own pen) Vladimir S. Bekofsky.  Despite the name clearly being visible
on the documents, the Seoul Customs Service elected to go with N.S.
Bekofsky.  His role in Korea may not have been of much importance but he
does enjoys the honor of holding several patents - including a
"hair-cutting machine". V.S. Bekofsky and several of the other men did not
arrive in Korea until the summer - not spring - and some of the earlier
arrivals have been neglected, even though they had very interesting
back-stories.

Mackbet - was actually J. R. Mackbeth.

Glanfield should have been H. G. Glanville.

Rosenbaum appears to have been Seigmond Rosenbaum and not Joseph/f.

I think my complaint is that Allen's book has mistakes that are repeated.
So many projects to complete but I do hope to some day finish my project on
the Korean Customs Department.

Robert