[KS] Percival Lowell

Robert Provine provine at umd.edu
Tue Apr 7 22:04:58 EDT 2015

Dear Hyung Il and others:

Two small things to point out:

1) The biography of Percival Lowell was written by A. Lawrence Lowell, a
brother, who was later President of Harvard, and not by the sister Amy
Lowell, who was noted as a poet. The Lowells are institutionally
remembered by the Harvard residence named Lowell House, where I lived as
an undergraduate and which I visited last week (for the Opera, not for
the Lowells).

2) Much earlier on this list I asked for the collective wisdom on the
identity of Gordon Haddo, or Haddo Gordon, and received no response.
There seem to be two articles by him, one clearly forename-surname
Gordon Haddo and one equally clearly Haddo Gordon. That would seem to be
a pseudonym, and my conjecture (since Lowell knew Korea, knew Sô
Kwangbôm, and would have had access to him in the USA in the 1890s) is
that Percival Lowell is this obscure person who wrote with confidence
about the Progressive Party and about Sô Kwangbôm. Does the currently
aroused set of experts have a definitive answer?

Cheers,

Rob Provine