[KS] Percival Lowell

Robert N robertneff103 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 02:38:50 EDT 2015

Haddo Gordon

I find this subject very interesting and confess I knew nothing about him
until Prof. Provine's post.  I am curious as to why Griffis would have felt
the need to disguise his own writing - he had very little to lose (IMHO) in
affixing his name to the article.

I assume that the article in Chautauquan (vol XVI 1892-1893) - is the same
as the article in the May 1895 edition of Lippincott's (I don't have a link
to it - so I don't know but would appreciate it if you could provide it).
If it is, I am kind of impressed that Griffis had thought this deception
out so well that he deliberately misspelled his own name (Griffith).

Frank pointed out the spelling differences and I have added the differences
in the Chautauquan article

Hong Yong Sik
Hong Yeng Sik
(Hong Yung Sik)

 Tè Wang Kun (大院君)
Tai-Wen kun
(Tai-Wen-kum)

I find his spelling of Philip Jaisohn as "Jashion" rather interesting.  I
think it is also interesting that he knew Jaisohn was working with the
American government.  Is it possible that these differences were due to the
editors and their particular style?

Here is the link to the Chautauquan article.

https://archive.org/stream/chautauquanorga00unkngoog#page/n58/mode/2up/search/haddo

Robert Neff