[KS] punishment of women in Choson

Victoria Ten yoneun at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 08:41:57 EST 2015

This might help you, though it’s not directly your subject: Kim, Nayeon.
2012. “Indoctrinating Female Virture: the Social use of Chosŏn Woodblock
Prints” (paper presented at Eighth Worldwide Consortium of Korean Studies
Centers Workshop, July 4-7, 2012, Seoul, South Korea). Or at least the
bibliography at the end can help.

Samgang Haengsildo (三綱行實圖, Illustrated Exemplars of the Three Bonds) was
commissioned in 1428 by King Sejong (1418-1450) for the purpose of ‘people
education’ and woodblock-printed in 1434 (Kim, Nayeon 2012: 225, 228, 232).
The Three Bonds describe the three social structures, the three ethical
obligations of loyalty and servitude. The subject must serve the king, the
son or daughter must serve the parent, and the wife must serve the husband.
Thus formulated moral and social obligations show that women were
traditionally included among the subjects of virtue in East-Asia. But this
is theory, and practice might be different. Interesting question in this
respect is whether children were considered less responsible for crimes
than their parents, as according to Three Bonds sons and daughters are
subjected to parents just as wives are subjected to husbands.

Victoria Ten
Leiden University