[KS] punishment of women in Choson

Sung Deuk Oak sungoak at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 16:20:06 EST 2015

Dear Prof. Torrey,This is not a government thing and a different topic, yet we need to consider domestic violence and private punishment of women in the 19th century Korea.Even in the 1890s a zealous husband cut fingers and nose of her wife (poor ordinary family in Seoul), which was one of the most harsh punishments to the criminals, took two children from her, and abandoned her. I do not know if he was punished for his behavior. Best,Sung Deuk OakUCLA