[KS] formal question (which version of Chinese characters?)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Thu May 21 22:11:06 EDT 2015

Dear All:

A short and simple question:

What do you do when you write something about a *Korean topic* but then
make some side reference to post-1949 mainland China and to Japan,
using (a) terminology and (b) publication titles? Do you ignore the
modernized versions of Chinese characters from mainland China and Japan
or do you represent them one-to-one in your text (when and where that
makes sense).
I am speaking of a standard East Asian studies text, say something
about culture.

EXAMPLE (I leave out the Italics):

 ... the concept of "folk" (minjian 民间) in Maoist China, if compared
to minsok 民俗 in Korea and denshō 伝承 in Japan ...

OR:

 ... the concept of "folk" (minjian 民間) in Maoist China, if compared
to minsok 民俗 in Korea and denshō 傳承 in Japan ...

(At least "denshō 傳承" looks really 'wrong' to me.)

And say there is a PRC magazine -- short or traditional:
 Minjian yishu 民间艺术
OR
 Minjian yishu 民間藝術

What makes the most sense?