[KS] formal question (which version of Chinese characters?)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sat May 23 18:33:49 EDT 2015

Hello Professor Best:

Yes, Andrew's argument is a strong one. Thanks for that.
So, publications always "as they are" (in terms of character versions),
which, by the way, not what is otherwise done following most
bibliographic conventions (e.g., we disregard the capitalization of the
original, except for historic texts).

As for personal names, though, I suppose you would not go by the same
rule or convention, yes? (I would not.) For example, you would not
write "Deng Xiaoping 邓小平" in a text that otherwise deals with
contemporary KOREA, and for a publication that mostly deals with Korea,
but 鄧小平 -- correct?

And how about terminology -- no direct quotes (see my examples from the
first mail)?

Best,
Frank