[KS] Mac Users / Korean: WARNING! (Update to OS X El Capitan)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Sat Oct 3 16:36:42 EDT 2015

Dear All (Windows users, please ignore):

(1) Clarification of space problem
(2) !!! NEW additional WARNING !!!

(1) Clarification of problem

It seems that the spacing problem (reported earlier, in good faith, I
must say), is of a different nature than I thought it was:
this is that "extra-space-after-numbers in Korean fonts" problem. Now I
noticed that this seems neither to relate directly to differences
between Apple's Mac OS X versions nor to differences in MS Word
versions 2011 and 2016.

It *is* clearly a problem in the Mac version of MS Word 2011 AND 2016,
but I just cannot figure out what is going on. Maybe you can? Please do
post if you understand this and have a solution.

Below are two TEST files -- a MS Word 2011 and a 2016 file -- followed
by a PDF with the same content that shows the issue (for those using
Windows).
In LINES 3, 5, and 8 you do see these *extra spaces* following numbers.
If you open the MS Word files, please try to DELETE those spaces ... I
at least am unable to do so, and I have no explanation for these
differences (within the SAME font).
I *believe* that the problem came into some of my texts after
exchanging them with an editor who uses Windows. Before that, I think,
there were no spaces. (I am not entirely sure though.) Now I can copy
text WITH these spaces, but cannot delete them -- and when I re-type
such text in the same line, I also continue getting extra spaces.
Any ideas? (Let me say that this does ONLY happen in Microsoft Office
programs, independent of the Mac OSX version.)

(See attached files at end of this message.)

(2) !!! NEW additional WARNING !!!

Just now I found a new HIGHLY ALARMING issue: when opening MS Word 2011
texts (produced while still using Mac OSX 10.10) that include Hanmun --
I mean to say, when I open them in EITHER MS Word 2011 OR 2016 -- all
Hanja now look scrambled like this: those characters in below screen
shot are supposed to read 山神.