[KS] "Dismantling Developmentalism: Japan, Korea, Taiwan" Symposium: Fri-Sat, October 23-24th, 2015

Cksassist Departmental cksassist at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 14 18:09:51 EDT 2015

​​UC Berkeley Center for Korean Studies is pleased to co-sponsor the
following event:

​

*Dismantling Developmentalism: Japan, Korea, Taiwan Symposium*

Friday-Saturday, October 23-24th | 9 AM | Fri:180 Doe Library
<http://www.berkeley.edu/map?doe>, Sat: IEAS <http://ieas.berkeley.edu/>,
1995 University Ave., 5th floor conference room

Organizer: T.J. Pempel, Political Science, UC Berkeley

Sponsors: Institute of East Asian Studies (IEAS) <http://ieas.berkeley.edu/>
, Center for Chinese Studies (CCS) <http://ieas.berkeley.edu/ccs/>, Center
for Japanese Studies (CJS) <http://ieas.berkeley.edu/cjs/>, Center for
Korean Studies (CKS) <http://ieas.berkeley.edu/cks/>

This conference will examine the issues surrounding how Japan, Korea and
Taiwan have adjusted their political and economic institutions as well as
their public policies ‘after developmentalism.’ The intellectual starting
point is the recognition that these three governments enjoyed highly
successful political economies for several decades as each followed its own
specific iteration of “developmentalism.’ Past practices were challenged by
the end of security bipolarity in East Asia, as well as the increased
penetration of East Asian economies by global capital. These external
challenges meant that some past institutions and policies were dismantled;
others were adjusted; some were retained intact. The workshop has three key
targets. First we hope to identify and highlight the most significant
post-developmental approaches taken within each of these three political
economies. Second, we will assess the relative successes and weaknesses of
post-developmental moves, politically and economically. Third and finally,
we will explore how domestic changes play out in across the region—in the
form of both security and economic activities. To what extent do national
grand strategies change? To what extent are domestic changes reflected
within regional institutions? When and how do domestic shifts result in
security cooperation or contestation?

To go to the event page, please click HERE
<http://events.berkeley.edu/index.php/calendar/sn/ieas.html?event_ID=90832&date=2015-10-23&filter=Secondary%20Event%20Type&filtersel=829>
.​​​​