[KS] Father in Korean War

Jiyul Kim jiyulkim at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 09:24:58 EDT 2015

John, I was able to locate the war diaries of the 2nd Bn, 1st Marines.

The monthly diaries from Aug 1950 - Dec 1953 is here.
http://www.koreanwar.org/html/usmc_korean_war_records_unit.html?pid=43

Diary for Sep 1952 is here.
http://www.koreanwar2.org/kwp2/usmc/043/M043_CD18_COMMAND_DIARY_SEPTEMBER_1952.pdf

The diary provides detailed day by day account of the unit. You will need a
military map of the area to make sense of the map coordinates. A good place
to start locating the right map is here:
http://www.koreanwar.org/html/maps.html

especially these 1:50,000 maps from the Korean War period,
http://www.koreanwar.org/html/korean_war_topo_maps.html

It will require more detailed research to locate the exact map sheet(s)
referenced for the 2nd Bn. If you need help you can write to koreanwar.org
or the Marine Corps History Office. You are looking for the reference
number (e.g. *L751 - 6417 - III* ) covering the area occupied by 2nd Bn,
1st Marines in Sep 1952.

Good luck.
Jiyul Kim