[KS] 5th 14th 23rd

Werner Sasse werner_sasse at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 10 01:20:15 EST 2016

Dear colleagues,

In a translation I am working at there is a paragraph which bothers me, but I cannot come up with solutions. Any help will be appreciated...

???? ???????? The 5th, 14th, and 23rd days are called the "Three Ruining Days".

????? ???? ???? Every Month people are afraid to do anything, any work or leaving the house.

?????????????????????????????  It is said that since Koryo customarily the king took these three days and therefore ministers and all people incorrectly made them into taboo days. Originally they were not "Ruining Days"

Questions I have:

1) 5-14-23 with the difference of 9 makes me think of the Nine Influencers ?? (skr. Nahagraha, often translated as "planets" or "luminaries"). Does it have to do with birthday or any other important event? With mercury (number 5 in numerology) and its influence? Or with jupiter mok-chiksong ???, the 5th of the ???

2) which Koryo king (or, since it is a hanmun text, Koguryo "king")?

3) And who is behind the "It is said..."?

Translations, secondary literature, and three days wasted in the internet did not help me. Of course, I could just not bother and translate the text as it is, but I would just like to find some background to these enigmatic statements. It would be nice for me and probably for any serious reader of the translation...

Looking forward

Werner