[KS] Activities of RAS Korea

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Fri Jul 1 02:24:11 EDT 2016

Members of this list are always welcome at the activities of the Royal Asiatic Society Korea. Lectures are held in the 2nd-floor lounge of Somerset Palace, our office is  Room 611, Korean Christian Building, Daehangno 19 (Yeonji-dong), Jongno-gu, Seoul 03129   Please phone: (02)763-9483 before visiting

Brother Anthony
President, RAS Korea

See our Website: http://www.raskb.com  for full details

Upcoming Lectures
Tuesday, July 12, 7:30pm Judith A Cherry: Building Sandcastles in Seoul: Socio-cultural Barriers to Doing Business in South Korea
Tuesday, July 19, 7:30pm Norman Thorpe: Pictures from the Past – the charm and revelations of historic Korean postcards
(No lectures in August)
Tuesday, September 6 Brother Anthony: Korean Poets and their Poems in Translation
Tuesday, September 20 Maija Devine: The “Comfort Women” issue

Excursions
Saturday July 9 The new Shamanism Museum and Jingwansa Temple (Jeremy Seligson + Dr Yang)
Saturday July 16 Yonghung-do Island (Sue Bae)
Saturday July 23 Visit to the “House of Sharing” (Jeremy Seligson)
Saturday July 30 Walking in Seodaemun (Jeremy Seligson)
Saturday August 6 Rafting (Sue Bae)

RAS - Business & Culture Club
The Business & Culture Club meeting is held at midday every 3rd Tuesday of the month. Please join the Facebook Group of the above name to receive detailed information.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasbusinessclub/

RAS Reading Club
July 4 at 7:00 p.m. We will be reading "The Darkroom of the Map" by Yi Sang.
We talk about a Korean short story translated into English, usually on the first Monday of each month, in the library at Jongno District Office. Please see the Facebook page for the text to be prepared
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/rasreadingclub/

The Seoul Colloquium on Korean Studies
The “Seoul Colloquium on Korean Studies” is organized jointly by the Seoul Center of the ÉFEO and RAS Korea. It meets in the Grand Conference Room (Room number 310), of the Asiatic Research Institute, Korea University, on July 21 beginning at 5:30pm. Presentations by Chase Karcher and Matthew A. Shapiro. Everyone interested in academic Korean Studies is welcome. Please contact Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr for more details.

Bookstore & Library
Our office also houses our Library and serves as a bookstore, with many rare and interesting titles about Korea available, with a discount for RAS members. Please phone before visiting, to be sure there will be someone there.
Please sign up for our emailed Newsletters (domestic and overseas) through links in the Membership section of our home page www.raskb.com  and join / like our Facebook page and groups.