[KS] Call for Panelists - AAS 2017 Panel on Exception and Emergency Government in Asia

John B. Thompson jbt2112 at columbia.edu
Mon Jul 11 18:39:20 EDT 2016

Dear Korean Studies online group:

I hope you are having a restful summer. I'm writing because I'm organizing
a panel proposal for the 2017 Association for Asian Studies Conference
(March 16-19 in Toronto) on states of exception and emergency government in
Asia. To ensure a breadth of disciplinary and regional representation, I
wanted to get in touch with Korea scholars who may have fruitful insights
into the problem of legal exception and governing emergencies in Asian
contexts.

After 9/11, American scholarship across disciplines renewed its interest in
states of emergency or exception, in which the normal legal order is
suspended in order to secure the integrity of the political community, as a
response to the Bush administration's dubious executive maneuvers to
prosecute the War on Terror. Carl Schmitt's theory that deciding on states
of exception is the sine qua non of sovereign power and Giorgio Agamben's
apocalyptic vision that states of exception allow for the permanent,
unrestrained application of sovereign violence to the lives of its citizens
were particularly prevalent in this discussion.

We are interested in probing the importance of states of emergency across
Asian societies, in fields ranging from political science to history to
geography to anthropology, and the way the Asian experience challenges our
conceptions of emergency. In particular, we hope to move beyond the
question of exception as only a legal or political problem.

For reference, other papers on the panel will discuss governance in
colonial Xinjiang and the practice of emergency government in China and
Japan from 1927 to 1937.

I hope to hear from you soon! I want to round up abstracts by July 25 for
our discussant candidates.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
John

john.thompson at columbia.edu
jbt2112 at columbia.edu

--
*John B. Thompson*

PhD Candidate, History - East Asia
Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
*Columbia University*
New York, New York, USA

jbt2112 at columbia.edu
+1-614-736-0316