[KS] Origin of term "자연부락"?

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreanstudies.com
Wed Jun 29 20:17:36 EDT 2016

Hi Tommy:

"자연부락" -- that would be "自然部落," and I doubt that the Japanese
used that term at all, either in Japan itself or as a replacement of
the Han'gŭl-only term "마을." This seems rather to be a 1970s term, and
one that got only REALLY popular since the mid-2000s, always in
relation to SOUTHERN villages.

If you wonder if that term might have been introduced by the Japanese,
try to find some textual references from colonial period publications
-- that would be the first and easiest step to find out. Isn't it?

In the 1930s (and less so in the 1920s already) the Japanese sure
pushed the idea of "modernized, Japanized, streamlined & efficient
Korean culture" *vs.* "traditional, folkloristic, inefficient village
romanticism" -- so, in a way, yes, that concept fits the term, but I
believe the term itself was not used then. I'd rather speculate it came
from either the Park Chung Hee party in the 1970s ... basically
replicating that colonial concept (first museum villages established
while the Saemaŭl movement was going on), of from Park's critics.

Best,
Frank