[KS] [CALL FOR ABSTRACTS] Korean Studies Conference at the University of Pennsylvania (April 27, 2018)

Nuri Kim nurikim at sas.upenn.edu
Wed Dec 20 22:18:06 EST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

The James Joo-Jin Kim Program in Korean Studies at the University of
Pennsylvania is hosting its third annual conference on Friday, April 27,
2018, under the title "Populism, Alternative Truths, and Voices from the
Fringe in Korea." The objective is to discuss various forms of fringe
groups, ideas, and movements, as well as the dynamics between fringe and
center throughout Korean history,  modern and premodern. We welcome
contributions from any kind of discipline, including anthropology, cultural
studies, history, literature, philosophy, political science, religion, and
sociology.

As the title of the conference suggests, we also hope to derive conclusions
that are relevant to understanding contemporary events and developments. If
you are interested in presenting, please send a *250 word abstract* plus a
short introduction of yourself to nurikim at sas.upenn.edu by the end of  *Friday,
January 19, 2018 *(EST).

For any questions regarding the conference, feel free to send your
inquiries to the same email address.

Sincerely,

Nuri Kim
Postdoctoral Fellow